Background/Purpose: For more than a decade, endoscopic puncture of ureterocele has been recommended as an initial and, in the majority of the patients, as a definitive procedure. This study evaluates the long-term effectiveness of primary endoscopic puncture of ureterocele.
Over the last 18 years (1984 through 2001), 52 patients (median age 3 months) underwent primary endoscopic puncture of ureterocele. The median follow-up was 9 years (6 months to 18 years). Antenatal ultrasound scan detected hydronephrosis and led to the postnatal diagnosis of ureterocele in 12 (23%) children, whereas in the remaining 40 (77%) children the diagnosis was made on investigation for urinary tract infection (UTI). The ureterocele presented as a part of renal duplication in 48 (92%) patients and a single system in 4 (8%). Forty-four (92%) of the patients with duplication presented with non- or poorly functioning upper poles. Vesicoureteric reflux (VUR) was seen in the lower moiety of the ipsilateral kidney in 31 and in 18 of the contralateral kidney comprising 49 renal refluxing units (RRU).